Welcome to the Church of Saint Helena Religious Education Program
2017-2018 Religious Education Calendars:
Our goal is to instruct young people in our parish family as a community of believers in the Catholic faith. We offer faith formation for children and youth in grades kindergarten through ten who are members of our parish and attend area public and non-Catholic schools. Our program continues and supplements religious formation by parents, who are the first teachers of their children. As such, parents are involved at all levels and aspects of faith formation, as catechists, service project coordinators, and event volunteers. Together we carry out our mission to inspire our young people to live a lifelong journey of faith.
Our program currently has an enrollment of aproximately 200 students in Grades K-10. Over 30 dedicated volunteers serve as catechists, substitute catechists and coordinators in the 24 classroom groups and youth group.
What We Do
We offer religious education that is a developmentally appropriate, comprehensive and systematic presentation of Catholic beliefs. We want our students to not only be knowledgeable about their faith, but also grow in intimacy with Jesus and integrate these beliefs and traditions into their personal lives to bring forth the Kingdom of God in the world.
Our program develops its curriculum based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the General and National Directories for Catechesis, and the Archdiocesan curriculum standards. In general, catechesis encompasses six fundamental tasks, which we strive to incorporate throughout all grade levels:
- Promoting knowledge of the faith
- Promoting knowledge of the meaning of the Liturgy and the Sacraments
- Moral formation in Jesus Christ
- Instruction about and formation in Christian prayer
- Preparation for living in community and participating actively in the life and mission of the Church
- Promotion of a missionary spirit that prepares the faithful to be present as Christians in society
Our program provides religious education in the classroom setting from September to May. Please see the posted calendars for details.
- Our students are expected to:
- Host one grade-level Mass during the year and
- Participate in at least two annual service projects.
- As part of their sacramental preparation, candidates for Confirmation develop and carry out their own service learning projects, based on the corporal and spiritual works of mercy and the principles of Catholic social teaching.
How to Join Us
If you are a member of the Church of St. Helena and you would like to register your child for religious education, please fill out the form sent via mail.
- Please return the form to the religious education office at church, attention to the CRE, Donna Wolcott.
- If your child was not baptized in our parish, please also enclose a copy of his/her baptismal record.
- Please indicate on the form how you would like to contribute your time and talents to our program, as a room parent, project coordinator or event volunteer.
We are looking forward to your participation in our program.
May God bless us as we share his love and teachings with our young people!
For more inforamtion
Please contact Donna Wolcott - Religious Education Coordinator at
860-521-3661 or via email at email@example.com